Deciding the best hair care products to purchase can be difficult when there are so many to choose from. Most products claim to be healthy but it’s more than necessary to look at the ingredients of products to be able to decipher whether it’s a good product or not.
Ingredients To Avoid In Your Hair Care Products:
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate)
- Denatured Alcohols
- Synthetic Fragrances/ dyes
- Sulfates tend to strip your hair of its essential oils as well as the proteins needed to promote healthy hair growth. Sulfate is commonly found in various shampoos and overlooked by many consumers.
- Products that have alcohol listed as an ingredient should be avoided at all costs. Alcohol not only strips your hair of all it’s natural oils but it makes the hair dry, brittle, and prone to breakage. Alcohol can be found in multiple hair products as well as shampoo, conditioner, etch. Look out for ingredients that end in -OL, these ingredients are another form of alcohol that are commonly overlooked.
- Parabens are found in shampoo and conditioner as well. Parabens include the following chemicals: Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, and Propylparaben. Which has been linked to cancer, hair loss, and hormone imbalance.
Synthetic Fragrances/ dyes
- A great deal of people are allergic or have sensitivities to the synthetic fragrances and dyes that are put into hair products. Which can ultimately lead to irritation of the scalp, causing uncomfortable dryness and flaking.
- Formaldehyde is often identified on the label as Quaternium-15. Many hair products contain this ingredient known carcinogen which can be absorbed through the scalp. Formaldehyde can cause the following symptoms: headaches, dizziness, eye problems, nausea, vomiting, rash, and even chest pains.
- Silicones often prevent the hair from absorbing other nutrients and generally suffocate it while clogging pores and follicles on the scalp. Avoid using silicones on the scalp being that it can cause build up.
It is recommended to use products with natural and healthy ingredients for healthier hair. Check the labels of your hair care products so you can make an informed decision on what products are best to promote growth and health.